It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Nanaimo Area Reports
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:07 pm 
Highliner

Figured it was time to get a new Nanaimo area thread going seeing as winter is pretty well over. I'll be dusting off the boat and fishing sat/sun this weekend, maybe even in the sun 8-) . I'm sure more than a few of you heard about the 39lb spring caught at thrasher a few days ago. Anyone been out in the past few days to try their luck?

Post subject: Re: Nanaimo Area Reports
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:11 pm 
Captain

I'm planning on heading out on saturday to try my luck... and yes I did hear about the 40lb'r as well as a couple 30's... crazy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 pm 
Captain

tell me more, I am away at work and won't be back till next week.

oh and people, don't set prawn traps on range marks for porlier pass, good chance the barge will git them (you with white buoys_)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:34 pm 
Highliner

Steelhead wrote:
I'm planning on heading out on saturday to try my luck... and yes I did hear about the 40lb'r as well as a couple 30's... crazy!

A 40 and a couple 30's? Did you hear this from good sources or see any pics? 1 fish in the 30's is almost unheard of for this time of year let alone a couple. :o

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:49 am 
Captain

I haven't heard of any salmon that size but I did hear from a reliable source about halibut that size very recently caught at Gabriola. The springs I have caught and heard about have been 8's 12's myself a 15, and a 17.

Attachments:
todays fish.jpg
todays fish.jpg [ 67.84 KiB | Viewed 6728 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:43 pm 
Crew

Hey guys, havnt been out since almost 2 weeks ago, went out back to back days for one teenager that fell off beside the boat. The weather looks nice for the next couple days so i figure i'll try to get out. I'm thinkin of maybe runnin down to thrasher from nanaimo on fri or sat. I've only ever prawned at thrasher so dont know a whole lot about the salmon situation.

Anyone have any tips for fishing thrasher? I know the thrasher area pretty well just need to know whereabouts the typical trolling tacks are, depths, etc. Oh yah i'm in a 25' kingfisher "ReelEscape" ch 6 or 8 give me a shout if ur out.

thanks,
Brent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:01 pm 
Highliner

Looks like the wind is going to die down for Friday. I am keen to get out if anyone wants to ride along.
One other thing about tides... when fishing JDF for the most part you want to hit it on a flood. Here is different though is it not. The tide is running down towards the 'big' rivers on an ebb. Would that be better than a flood?? Can't figger that one out.
Usually we are on 88a (no one talks anyway).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:05 pm 
Highliner

I dont think tide direction in relation to the rivers has much effect but it might. I like an hour before/after low tides locally.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:37 pm 
Fish God

Cheers All,

My best fishing is on the slack 2 hours before to 2 hours after. If I have to fish otherwise I prefer a flooding tide to a falling. However, I have caught fish on every part of the tide and fishing is fishing. :D

BC Outdoors Pro Staff
West Coast Fishing Guides Association

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:06 pm 
Captain

The pattern I saw last year, low slack out far in the straight was good. High slack around thrasher rock was good for me too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next